Friday, January 14, 2011

Shins and kraut


Well, I'm trying really hard to keep up with this thing, but it seems I have a lot going on. I have officially started my own business selling lactation cookies. Which you can check out here. Seems more rewarding than working for the man. Who sometimes just isn't that nice.

Another food project I'm working is sauerkraut. The fermentation process fascinates me. I have a starter that's about to turn a year actually for which, I'm thinking of having a party. And some kimchi. Back to the sauerkraut. It's supposed to take 2-4 weeks, but it's already stanky fermenty and it's been 10 days. Should be good and ripe next week then.

My recipe is loosely based on this, but as usual, I tweaked it some. I'm sure I'll be posting pix of it when it's done. And when it's done, I'll be enjoying on top of some beer-soaked brats. Shins(Chutes Too Narrow) make good blogging about sauerkraut music.

There are 4 jars now actually....

Homemade sauerkraut
1 head napa cabbage
salt
water
random jars (qt size seems to work so far)

Cut napa into thin strips, put into bowl salting a little as you work so that it's napa, salt, napa and so on. Give it a courtesy stir, and then let it sit for about an hour. Jam into jars. Make saltwater solution of 1tsp per cup of warm water (to dissolve) and pour into jar, cover with a towel to keep random kitchen bits out. meaning you just leave it in a corner for a while (2-4 weeks depending on how stanky you like it). Best to put a plate under it, seems to bubble over sometimes. if the top looks gross, skim it off. Will post final review upon completion.





No comments:

Post a Comment